View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
tubman

Default Re: Oil pump "rebuilding"

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Frank and Ron - As I said in my original post "the pump provides adequate pressure". In my situation, I don't believe it is satisfactory. Remember, this is a FRESH engine; turned crank, new bearings of the proper undersize and all. Every 8BA I've ever had that was not completely shot had the kind of oil pressure I am experiencing in my '51 (25/55). I checked my '49-'51 factory manual, and surprisingly, I couldn't find any information about oil pressure at all. I consulted my old Motor manual that has a flathead section, and it says that the oil pressure for these engines should be 57 psi. From what I can see, any oil pump that only puts out 30 lbs has a problem. At this point, I simply don't trust the Speedway pump. I was at my shop today, and got one of the Ford pumps end play within specs (it takes about 20 minutes to remove .001 from the bottom of the pump with 220 grit wet-or-dry). I'll do the other one tomorrow, when the new relief springs hopefully show up, and send them off to be tested.

If they pass the test, I will be replacing the Speedway pump with the best one I get back. I am willing to bet that the pressure will be back up to my expectations.

I'd rather replace the oil pump with the engine on the test stand rather than in the car. If nothing else, it will be an interesting exercise.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote