View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #35
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 21 stud deck height, gasket thickness, etc. questions.

While the crank work will be a bit expensive, it will probably be less than a custom set of pistons. So if it was mine, I'd explore with my local machine shop (somebody who is expert on crankshaft work) - what this crank work would cost. It is very important for the quench/squish to be about .040, so an offset crank grind back to 2" rod journals would enable you to achieve the exact stroke you'll need (given the pistons you have). Let us know what you find.

Also, this approach would create the least number of "bastardized" parts (versus screwing with the heads - which I wouldn't do for multiple reasons).

BTW: If you need this type of crank work done and don't have a trustworthy local crank shop, let me know - can probably get this done for you at Fowlers in Columbus. This is where all my machine work is done and their crank guy "Dennis" is second to none. Let me know if I can help . . .

Also, I have a couple "spare" later 239 cranks - so you wouldn't have to ship or deliver one both directions. In a perfect world, I would prefer to have the short-block to mock everything up. This is the best way to prevent any potential unforeseen circumstances . . . as we all know that crap happens!
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote