View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #34
Benson

Default Re: throw-out bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR500 View Post
Tom Endy, Back about 20 years ago a friend of mine known for installing BW overdrives planned a trip to the National. He decided he wanted to replace his clutch disc and since he also had a brand new throwout bearing from Macs he decided to replace it as well. Well when the job was completed the new throwout bearing squealed worse than the old one. Aetna was in Chicago on the near northside. He took the bearing which was marked Aetna and they placed it on a lathlike machine which clamped the inner portion and applied pressure to the area which contacts the pressure plate fingers. It screamed. The Aetna employee did state that it indeed was marked Aetna, but was not their bearing. He asked my friend if he minded him cutting the bearing open and since my friend had no objection, it was cut open. Result; Inferior junk for materials. Bearings were being made in India and other third world countries and going so far as even copying Aetna's logo. Spend the money and buy the better throwout bearings.
As KR500 mentioned in post 17 above He took a noisy bearing to the Aetna plant and they found it was a junk made in India bearing.

Last edited by Benson; 01-12-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote