View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #878
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

This story follows number 877, yesterday. Do read that first.

During the ‘70’s I was a cropduster on the Darling Downs. The secretary and ops manager was Sharon Bridle. An attractive and competent girl who spent her entire working life in that position for that company. See story #130 7th July 2018.
Sharon’s husband is Bob. His spine was becoming ridged and it continued to deteriorate until he could see only to the side by shuffling his feet and changing the direction of his whole body. He has been in pain now for what must be 40 years. I recently I saw them both was in a Brisbane hospital. Bob just had his left leg amputated and there was talk of removing the other.

Well Bob has another syndrome. He has a big smile coupled with frequent laugher. He can't help himself. The man has been the same ever since I’ve known him even that day lying there minus his leg. Bob showed us the operation job and said he was pleased he had 2 legs remaining.

The forth person is my friend Hugh. Here is my story.
My friend Hugh is now 74 and becoming spastic, yes becoming spastic. He has a most unusual inherited syndrome. He now requires 2 sticks to walk and his speech is becoming a little awkward.

Hugh was an industrial chemist by profession. I first met him when he was an inspector for the pesticide branch of the Ag Dept. and then he was succonded to EPA. Hugh did his job effectively but never used his authority. He reckoned all those idle government lawyers in Sydney should be kept idle.

I emailed Hugh, seeking permission to write about him and his ailment. This is the response.
Of course you can! But I’m not exceptional in any respect — Please include a statement to that effect. Quite an ordinary Low- achievement person who might have reached mediocrity.
It is ‘Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia’ and walking is the most obvious manifestation. However it affects speech and other physical movement and strength. Similar to MND but doesn’t kill you as fast.

These four people in my two stories have one thing in common. They have a happy disposition. They enjoy their lives and pleased to be alive.

I would find it difficult if I was in their position.
Question. How would you handle it?

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote