View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 03:35 AM   #861
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Battery findings.

I replaced the battery in my Toyota ute with a Delco. Opinions I sort on battery life were unanimous with a Delco. It was only 5 months following installation that it failed. I charged it and asked my local garage to test it, to which they said it was not holding sufficient volts. I took it to the supplier who pointed out it did not show a green eye. He asked about my charger and asked if I would leave both battery and charger with him for a few days. It came back well. Green eye showing.

It seems that modern battery chargers are “variable voltage chargers”. They ascertain what voltage the battery requires and supplies accordingly thus avoiding oversupply.

For my 6V ute I purchased a 6V/12V trickle charge smart charger for 44AUD. The tourer is 12V and I’ll use a trickle charger with perhaps a timer. The G.M. Holden I’m converting to 12V alternator and Delco battery. Because it is a closed car I will use it more regularly.

Spose the rest of you A owners know all of that stuff. It seems like you are all excellent mechanics. The only thing I do well is dote and dribble when I walk into my garage and site these beautiful motor cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0784.jpg (105.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0775.jpg (75.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2331.JPG (70.6 KB, 27 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote