View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #850
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Country Cops.

Country and outback cops are quite different to urban cops. They fit into the community well. They need to for they and their families live in close proximity to these people and country folk are generally not as rushed and are more relaxed than their urban cousins.
I was working on the Darling Downs in the 70’s, prior to moving to the Riverina. I was needing a driver to position and load my employer’s aeroplane and hired a scruff named Jim. An intriguing and interesting fellow who owned about 4,000 acres (mostly scrub) and ran 28 head of cattle. Well Jim didn’t have a heavy transport licence so I took him to the Cop Shop where he was quizzed and tested and passed. The cop turned to me and said “of course you’ve got one Gary”. No I said and he replied “you have one now”. When I wasn’t working I had driven a tipper for a bloke in my street and he would always give me a wave.
Yes, cops in country police stations are almost always agreeable. With one exception I’ve always had good rapport with them.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote