View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #846
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Should I forgive GM Holden?

This is to follow story number 838 on 22 Feb.
When I started my cropspraying business in 1980 it was common practise with operators to tow a trailer which was used to mix and load pesticide into the aeroplane. A one ton vehicle was most commonly used. I elected to buy a Holden tray which was basically a motor car cab with modified gearing and a tray of course. The tray to carry pesticides and fuel.
I ordered this vehicle with a V8 and 4 speed manual transmission. Both the engine and transmission were extra money but I figured I needed them both. I don’t recall the extra cost of the V8 but do remember the transmission was an additional $700.
Shortly after taking delivery I was in the dealers show room and picked up a broacher on the vehicle I had just purchased. I saw the 4 speed transmission was standard with the V8.
Now to cut to the chase. I called GM Holden and discussed this with them and I asked for a refund for this extra when it was indeed standard. Much time was spent and cost incurred speaking to Holden’s PR man, Mr Hobbs who insisted I must pay for this extra. I continued to point out it wasn’t an extra but standard. The man wouldn’t budge. Apart from my vintage FX Holden I have never bought a Holden since.
I would have liked to have written to them in 2030, the 50th anniversary of that rip-off purchase, to enquire whether or not I should forgive them. That is assuming I’ll still be here in 2030. Now it’s not a question of whether I’ll be here but they have announced they are closing their whole Australian operation next year; thus they won’t be here. Seems like they don’t like us anymore. They are spitting the dummy and going home. It seems we like cheaper and more efficient Asian cars.

So I’ll need to write this year, the 40th year, to ask if I should forgive them. It’s unlikely I’ll find Mr Hobbs but never the less I’ll ask. Maybe I’ll even request a refund. It was a horrible vehicle anyway. 4 mpg around town and 6 on the highway. When I sold it I told the buyer the fuel consumption was horrific but he said he could fix that. My cropduster buddy from Elmore, Wayne Cowan, said he saw it for sale in a car yard shortly afterwards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (5.9 KB, 13 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote