View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
ford38v8

Default Re: Dual points for increased dwell??

I'm not familiar with the guru you cited as having knowledge contrary to what has always been common knowledge about Ford's dual points, so I'll leave that conversation to others. What i will do is to paint a word picture of the system as I understand it, hopefully sufficient for others also:
The cam lobes within the distributor opens and closes two separate followers, one after the other. The first follower makes the circuit as it drops off a lobe, and while that follower quickly rides up on the next lobe, the second follower has already dropped off an opposing lobe, which continues the contact for a moment longer. This slightly longer maintenance of the magnetic circuit within the coil increases the available spark which occurs when the second follower rides up the next lobe, breaking the circuit, and delivering the spark to the rotor.

Now, in second guessing my own answer, I may have it backwards as to which makes and breaks the circuit, but either way, the effect of two sets of points is that it allows a longer period of time to build the spark than a single set of points could provide.