Thread: Wheel studs
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 12:50 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Wheel studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoovel View Post
Folks,
I have to replace a few wheel studs on my 39 Coupe, wheels are 5 x 5-1/2. I’ve done a search on here and found several posts on this issue. I was able to remove the old studs with a 5/8 hole saw with no problems. I used a NAPA stud # 641-1617 as was suggested in another post, with a serrated dia of .568” I press fit it in the hub/drum with no issues. The issue I have was when I re-installed the steel wheel. The stud shoulder length was too long and prevented the wheel nuts from tightening on the wheel. I have ordered 2 of the Dorman 610-085 that has a serrated dia of .641”. I have a 5/8 drill bit which is .625”, but I need to know how much larger I have to make the hole to get a good bite with the stud, so as not to crack the drum.
Thanks
Tom

Hey Tom ......I've never done what you're attempting on an old Ford drum, although I've replaced plenty of studs over the years. I believe you're wise in taking care not to crack the drum.

0.641 is very close to 5/8" (0.625") PLUS 1/64" (0.015625") = 0.640625", or equivalent to a 41/64" drill bit. That is only 0.000375" SMALLER (that's way less than one of those blond hairs that we hear about) than your 0.641 stud.

What I'm contemplating here is drilling all the way through the hub flange PLUS the drum with the 5/8" bit. Even at that, the knurled splines on the studs will only interfere with the hub by a total of 0.016", or 0.008" into EACH side of the freshly-drilled hole in the hub.

Then, before you press the stud in, drill only the drum surface using a 41/64" drill bit. Just the process of drilling with the 41/64" bit will leave essentially ZERO clearance for the stud splines to interfere with.

That 0.641" spline pressing into a 0.0625" (5/8") hole may still leave you needing to tack-weld the stud from the rear to keep it from spinning when tightening/loosening.......FWIW! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)