Thread: 8ba question
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #12
Dbug725

Default Re: 8ba question

I want to thank all you guys for the postings and help concerning my 8ba starter. The pdf files containing the bellhousing starter plate info was so helpful. Turns out that my two piece bellhousing was from a Mercury so that it mated with my 1938 transmission in my pickup. The starter plate did have the angled mounting flange but turned out that Merc did not have the angled bellhousing to mate with it. When I looked on the internet, I found a man listing flathead parts for sale.........turns out he was an old dirt track racer who collected flatheads for his race cars As luck would have it, he did have a Mercury two piece flathead bell housing with the standard starter mount plate bolted to it. He made me pay for the bell housing as well as the plate, but the great news was he lived less than ten miles from my home. Long story short, she cranks like a new one! As a bonus we got to talk about the old dirt track racing of the 50's and 60's that I loved so much. Everyone connected to keeping this forum alive should receive tons of thanks to help old guys like me work on the flatheads still alive today.
Dbug725 is offline   Reply With Quote