View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: What Model "A" Book Do You Read the Most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
To us old-timers that still collect books:

I am just curious as to what resource book you guys find yourself looking at the most, be it historical, mechanical maintenance and repair, parts catalogs, etc.

I most often look through the DeAngelis book, also, the Branch Service Letters. The latter because I find such local-level type communications fascinating.

I think the basic answer to your question comes first with how much experience someone has with a Model-A.

For someone who is a 'novice' around a Model-A, Les' book is probably a good book to have. As one progresses upward with their familiarity, then the RG&JS book is probably the best resource. At that point, I feel Fordbarn should be the next source. I do not feel Fordbarn should be the first resource simply because someone needs to read something over and over until they comprehend. Make notes in their book if they need to.

For those who are actually 'restoring' instead of replacing, the Service Bulletins is a great resource. Anymore, I personally am finding myself referring to original prints of each component(s) as this makes so much more information available which then allows me to replicate something either mechanically and/or aesthetically. I make notes in my own words so that if I need to do the task again, my own notes in my own language makes a quick refresher.

I realize that not everyone has the skillset, nor the desire to 'restore' however what I have learned over the years is 'restoring' is a great way to learn skills to problem solve and think creatively. In other words, the ability to figure out a way to make a repair with the tools that you presently have. Tom Wesenberg is the master at this where he figures out a way to make the tool(s) to make the repair. Will Croncrite was another one that was very creative in making tools, fixtures, and widgets with what he had laying around to make a task easier to perform.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote