View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #28
whizzernick

Default Re: Chrome shop using dull nickel .

I have been told(dont remember who) when ford chrome plated parts (grills- bumpers- gear shift-bottom of hand brake. ) the part HAD to be polished to get the mirror like effect of chrome. If you did not polish -the part was dull . If you, look at the hand brake on my original 33 2 door. you see shine like chrome on the top and dull below (because that section was NOT polished.) as to dull nickle
(OLD) bright nickle ( now ) If you look at interior handles. nickle finish ( I am not sure if maybe the nickle had to be polished. I know that even the bright nickle we have to day gets dull with time but can be polished ( like silver )I have many original interior handles and all can be polished --- but the end result is not as bright as the nickle you get today.
One other point: look at the engine turned panel on a 32 & 33 ford. It is what I call

dull swirled spots (engine turned) in a certain pattern. I have in the past tried to duplicate. The end result was way too shiny . I think if I had that original dull crome I would get results more like original .
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote