Thread: misfire update
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 05:00 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: misfire update

Apparently, my suspicion about the leaky power valve was correct, even though I had done an overnight check to see if it was leaking gas, but there wasn't a drop in the tuna can. However, when I looked at the bottom of the main body of the carb, the red gasket for the power valve was soaked.
Now that I have been driving the car with the spare rebuilt carb on it, I have noticed that all it takes for the float bowl to leak dry is to let it sit for over 24 hours. Just enough gas left in the float to start the engine, then it immediately dries.
I am back to getting out, taking the oil-bath air-cleaner off, dumping a half a tuna can of gas down the air-bleed tubing in the carb throat (which fills the float bowl). Get back in and it fires right up and ready to go down the road.
At this point, I don't drive everyday, so it is likely I will always be taking the air-cleaner off and dumping gas in the carb just to get going.
BTW, I tried to get hold of Charley NY about getting some power valves and mating gaskets weeks ago, but he apparently doesn't visit this site very often.
Anyway, here is my theory of the idle surge that was happening; there may be a small drip between PV and gasket which would rev the idle up a little bit till that drip is burned, then the idle settles back down. The drips occur at around 3 second intervals so it seems like the idle is surging every 3 seconds.
I have also checked the accelerator pump ball check, but it is properly seated by the spring-clip (both carbs). This carb that is on the manifold now is primo!
The carb I just took off of it was rebuilt, but I noticed some damage to valve-body to main body gasket and the power valve gasket not fitting well (perhaps not even the right power valve for the mating surface of this carb. I fixed all that (I think) and placed it back in the spare box. I will wait until it is time to swap again before I test for leaks on the bench.
Nevertheless, there is no more idle surge and the engine sails down the road at any speed or acceleration I want.
Thanx to everyone for your input
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote