Thread: misfire update
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 02:08 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: misfire update

This is a 292 Y-block with all original '55 272 intake, carb and distributor (load-o-matic). It has Ford-o-matic trans. The carb is a Ford EBU (similar to the 51-53 Flathead carbs, but was used on all '54 Ford 239 Y-blocks). The fuel pump has vacuum booster. There is one tubing connection from fuel pump to intake manifold, off of which there is a compression "tee" and short piece of tubing with a vacuum cap (for use with vacuum testing guage). The vacuum cap was cracked, but now replaced. After I discovered the bad cap, I hooked the vacuum test guage to the tubing and was able to achieve a steady vacuum reading of 19. The only other vacuum line (coming off the third leg of the tee) is the line to the vacuum windshield wipers.
Typically, when timing an engine, I always pull the rubber hose (this is a new hose) off the tubing from the distributor vacuum advance and plug that hose with a pencil so that there is no signal from carburator to vacuum advance. I then proceed to run engine at idle and view the timing light at the pointer and adjust distributor as needed to get around 6-8 degrees BTDC.
The only vacuum circuit I have not checked is the line to the windshield wipers. I will need to go buy some more vacuum caps to do that.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote