Thread: ALT Fuse
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #17
DNLs1930

Default Re: ALT Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotvinV8 View Post
If you want to run a fuse between the alternator and battery, it needs to be larger than the max output of the alternator. The wiring will need to be sized accordingly as well. When I converted my A to 12v, I installed a Powermaster PowerGEN, which is rated at 90 amps max. First trip around the block, I must have replaced the 50amp fuse six or seven times before I finally got it to limp back home. I swapped the alternator wire to the lug on the fuse holder where the battery wire attaches and problem solved. The alternator was sending more than 50 amps through the fuse, blowing it.

Someone mentioned battery disconnects and amperage draw. Just install it in the ground side and you're good to go.

Burnt 50 Amp fuses? WOW that seems very excessive... Also if the fuse is rated higher than the output how can it protect anything? It would seem the fuse would do nothing because the rating of the fuse exceeds the maximum amp output.

I have a positive ground set up with two ground wires, one to the frame near the battery and one that runs to the transmission housing so the disconnect was installed by my uncle (previous caretaker) between the battery and starter. I get the concern with amperage flow through the switch and smaller wire (if used) but I have the larger sized wire running from the disconnect to the starter. Works good as far as I can tell with no issues.
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote