View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
Synchro909

Default Re: Bars leak duration

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
On the strength of George D's response, why not keep driving. Seems to me that the only way you would run into trouble is if the crack grew (if it is a crack). Even then, you'd get home by adding more bars leaks, most likely. For peace of mind, maybe have a contingency plan but why put the $$$$ into another motor you may not need.
BTW, If water is finding its way into the inlet ports through a crack. I wouldn't try fixing that block. If your car is a matching numbers car, I understand the agony of having to change engines but........
A fellow in our club had a new motor built and installed and on the first run, the contents of the radiator found its way into the engine. You never saw so much steam and vapour!! The cause was not a crack, rather the block they rebuilt had extensive corrosion in the water jacket. A small hole developed through the thin cast iron into the inlet port and the vacuum from the running motor soon sucked the water in. Your problem may be not a crack at all which would mean that it is unlikely to grow so long as you keep an anticorrosion additive in the water. My friend was able to transfer all of the new rebuild components, rods, pistons etc to another block so it didn't cost all that much for the workshop that did the job. They stood behind him.
Did you inspect inside the port and see a crack or is a crack only an assumption? You might get "lucky" and have a hole, not a crack in which case, yur Bars Leaks fix will be good indefinitely.