View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #14
GOSFAST

Default Re: Cylinder Head Fastener Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
The big problem I have with ALL the black oxide fasteners is that they will rust - so what looks great today, looks like hell a year from now (ARPs, Allen heads, you name it). And I've tried the 'paint them' approach - slightly better, but the paint will chip and eventually has issues after multiple re-torques, etc..

I recently bought the extremely pricey set of ARP studs with the hardened stainless acorn-style nuts and washers . . . this setup really looks great, but it also was a lot of money. It is the best looking head fastener package I've ever used or created - nothing really better in my mind.

In the end, I guess everything costs money - just depends how much and where you want to spend it.
I agree here, but even many of my own customers will not pay the ARP price for fasteners. Like I stated above we are W.D. supplier for all the ARP line and even at that price level these kits still aren't "cheap".

We are able to put our own kits together with the ARP components, the studs, nuts, and washers, but presently cannot supply the chrome covers. This may change in the near future, we have to wait and see??

We are able to sell the kits at a more comfortable price than ARP has listed on their website. Up till now they leave here in the 325.00/350.00 area. This gets 48 studs, 48 washers, and 48 nuts. All black-ox coated and very specific lengths.

With this option, assembling them here, it allows us to speak with each individual customer beforehand to confirm the actual lengths they require, often you find you don't get exactly what you need with prepackaged kits. This is the reason above when asked about a kit for the "60" V-8 I replied that all I really needed was the lengths required. Am not at all familiar with that unit?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I would just add also that the Chrome nuts supplied will probably show aging over a period of time! We sell a bunch of the black-ox coated intake bolts for all mfrs and haven't had any real complaints on this issue. Most find their way on aluminum intakes. Then there is always the "stainless" route, we've sold a bunch of these, also ARP's, mostly head bolts for the BBC line! The "stainless" intake bolts and exhaust bolts are also good movers! They do stay fairly nice over time. The photo here shows how we keep some of the ARP fasteners in bulk containers. These are some stainless Chev header bolts and washers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARP SS Header Bolts-Washers Bulk.JPG (59.1 KB, 26 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote