View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #102
RUNNERBUN

Default Re: A drive around the block

Hello to everyone once again. Well we have arrived home after eight weeks one day and 13278km / 8250 miles on the road. Since my last report from Goondiwindi we have said googbye to my brother in the other model A. He had only 220km/137miles to go to get to his home town of Toowoomba. We (the Chev and my Model A) had another 1000km/ 621miles and three more days of travel before we got to our home town of Mackay.
Day one was a relatively short day to the small township of Wandoan where we once again camped in the grounds of the local Historical village where we enjoyed a nice quite and comfortable night. Day two was also a reasonably short day to the small village of Dululu (1 Pub and six or seven houses) where we camped in the adjacent rest area. Our night at Dululu would be our last night together so we decided to dine out at the 5 star Restaurant also known as the Dululu Hotel We did enjoy a nice meal as you would normally get in these bush Pubs.
The next morning we awoke at 5.45am and were ready to leave by 6.30 (a record) We had a distance of 420km/ 261 miles to cover to see us home. We made good time and arried safely home by 2.30 pm.
I couldn't be happyier with the performance of my Model A. As mentioned previousely my only issues were a failed fan belt and a broken starter motor Bendix spring. Both were an easy roadside fix as we were carrying spares. Only other issue was a leaking radiator, but that was due to accidental damage.

Now for the Statistics.
Trip duration 57 days
Distance Travelled 13278km / 8250 miles
Fuel consumed 1821 litres / 481.3 US Gal / 400.71 Imp Gals
Average Fuelprice AU$1.60 per litre / AU$6.06 per US Gal
Total fuel cost AU$2919.90
Fuel consumption 20.59 miles per Imp Gal / 17.14 miles per US Gal
Lowest Fuel economy 17.12 miles per Imp Gal / 14.3 miles per USGal
Best fuel economy 25.37 " " " / 21.1 " " "
I trust you have all enjoyed the ride as much as I have enjoyed bringing it to you. I have but one wish, I trust that I have inspired you to get out there and use and enjoy these wonderful vehicles that we own. Use them and maintain them and they will serve you well. They are a robust and well engineered simple car to keep maintained and they will last for many years to come. Many times during the trip on those long distances between towns I wondered if Henry and Edsel Ford ever thought that the cars they built would not only survive for 86 years but be capable of udertaking such a journey. Were they up there looking down at us with a smile on their face, saying that's one of our cars. Were they looking after us? I would like to think so.
Now I have many people to thank, first and formost my good wife, without her enthusiasm and support and love of vintage motoring this trip would never have taken place. Secondly, my travelling companions, my brother and his wife and yes, even the Chevy driver. We shared a very special experience together.
To all you Ford Barners I say thank you for your support and encouagement and well wishes. I felt and enjoyed your company all the way. Also to the many people we met along the way and the friends new and old we met at the Busselton National meet. A big thank you to the drivers of all those heavy transporters and road trains which showed us great patience when we got in their way and slowed them up.

Last of all but certainly not the least. The Ford Barn, for this wonderful forum which allowed me to share this experience.

I thank you all once again.
Pic 1 Our last momments together as a group
Pic 2 Farewell brother Joe and Trish
Pic 3 Isla Gorge
Pic 4 Our last camp out at Dululu
Pic 5 At the front of the Dululu bush pub
pic 6 We have arrived home.
Pic 7 Total mileage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1625.JPG (159.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1627 crp.jpg (95.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1634.jpg (36.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1638.JPG (141.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1642.JPG (103.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1653.JPG (124.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1660 crp.jpg (68.4 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 10-29-2014 at 05:42 AM. Reason: extra info
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)