View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #44
Harley03joe

Default Re: The Military Model-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
A little off topic but certainly of interest. Not too many Mutts made it into civilian life.

Per Wikipedia...

The handling issues were eventually resolved by a redesign of the rear suspension, introduced in the M151A2 model. However, due to liability concerns, the U.S. Department of Defense deemed all M151 series vehicles "unsafe for public highway use", limiting their public use. Continuing problems with vehicle roll-overs into the 1980s led the US military to retrofit many M151 series vehicles with the "Roll over protection structure" (ROPS), a roll cage intended to protect both front and rear seat passengers.
Post Military Use

In the early 1990s the M151s began being phased out of service in favour of the Humvee. A few (perhaps 1000) were sold via Government Surplus auctions, and those that were not sold via Foreign Military Sales (FMS) overseas were cut into four pieces and scrapped. However some individuals were able to buy these "quartered" M151's and simply weld the four sections back together, and rebuilt them into drivable condition. Additionally, beginning in the late 1990s a few companies dealing in Military surplus items bought M151's from some of the foreign governments that received the vehicles via FMS for reconditioning and further sales.[citation neIeded]

I know that "mutt stuff" tends to go pretty pricey over at Ebayland.

Joe K
Mine Had The ROPS But I Took Them Out, And It Was Never Cut
Harley03joe is offline   Reply With Quote