View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Compression ring position

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Tom, I was told that the rings will rotate on the piston as the engine is running. Is this not true?
Not neccessarily.
In the 60's I worked on a Chevy V8 that had a line of steel up and down the cylinder wall because someone had all the ring gaps lined up on that piston. That's the only time I've seen such a thing like that.

When I was 16 I was hopping up a small 2 cycle go kart engine with porting and dual carbs. I didn't have the new rings yet, but just wanted to hear it run, so I mounted it to a wood board and belted it to an electric motor. I figured running at that speed would give it enough compression to fire up, but it never gave a single pop. Once the new rings arrived it ran fine. I did learn a lesson about porting on this engine though. There's a reason for the 2 bridges across the ports, and you shouldn't remove them like I did. With that much open distance the rings will expand and catch on the edge of the port. I fixed it by beveling the port edge, but this still couldn't be good for the rings.

I have a chainsaw with ring alignment pins firmly installed in the ring lands, which hold the rings from rotating and also places both ring gaps in a straight line. I can understand not wanting the ring gaps to be in the port area, but don't know why the factory lined them up to each other.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote