View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #10
Motorhead6

Default Re: converting from vacuum to electric wipers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Wrong on the switch. The New Port unit has an adapter that so you can use your original switch (as I said above) so it looks ok. I am using the original switch on both my 54 Ford and 56 Bird with Newport wipers.

Do you mean to tell me a 57 XXX with look stock on a Ford?? With the wires??
No matter what electric windshield wiper motor one uses, a wire will go to it. If that is a problem, it can be routed inside the dash or under the cowl seam along with the other wires that cross there. I didn't say it is stock (although 90% of onlookers would never notice it). I said it looks old school and does not jump out at you that it is not original as would a new W/W motor. It only applies if it makes a difference to whom ever uses it. Obviously you don't mind about that and that is great. Again, the original question was will the triple 5 Chevy work on a Ford; that is my answer. Thanks for the correction on the switch. I used the Newport unit on my '51 under the dash and out of sight. I used the Newport switch with my original knob, but had to modify the mounting point on the dash. Not a big deal, but it wasn't exactly a bolt on deal.

By the way, that Newport unit inside my car is very noisy. I wish there was a way to put it outside the firewall but that wouldn't look right either.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote