View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Paul in Colorado

Default Re: Model A Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Colorado View Post
My Town Sedan was originally purchased in Kalamazoo, and the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club had it as a door prize at their swap meet in February 1968. It was won by a friend of my neighbor in Arvada Colorado, who lived in Mishawaka Indiana at that time. He seldom drove it, and I bought it in 2005 and brought it back to Arvada. The body and interior are like it was in 1968, but I have done much mechanical restoration.

My Son-in-Law and I will be leaving tomorrow to drive it to the Model A Gathering on September 21 at Gilmore. If any Ford Barners are there, I would like to meet you. It will probably be the only Ford Maroon Town Sedan with Colorado plates. We will be traveling on US 36 and 24, and visiting the Studebaker museum in South Bend and the Auburn Cord Deusenberg museum in Auburn IN on the way. My sister lives in Hastings, about 20 miles from Gilmore, and we will be staying there on Thursday and Friday nights. We will also be at Gilmore on Friday to visit the other museums.

Paul Scherer
Paul in Colorado
[email protected]
I finally have internet access to give an update.

Our trip is going well, with a few glitches. On Sunday in Missouri we stopped for gas and the car would not restart. Troubleshooting identified the problem as a bad coil. We installed a spare we brought, and it has worked fine since. Today in Illinois the car died at a stop light. We pushed it into a restaurant parking lot. The coil output was grounded with the points open. We backed the armored cable out one turn, and the car started and has been fine since.

We have driven 1090 miles, mostly at 50 mph. We have used one quart of oil, and have gotten 17.5 mpg.

Tonight we are at Logansport Indiana. Tomorrow we will drive to South Bend and visit the Studebaker museum.

Paul
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote