View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #31
Chris in CT

Default Re: More questions of fixing a rear main oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Have you checked the seal surface for runout and roughness---if the seal surface was cut on a different centerline and it moves the seal enough that it bounces it can become a pump instead of a seal ---a new seal can be compliant and tight enough at first to not leak, if the seal surface is rough it will chew some off the seal--wear it out quick.
Al, You cannot make any assumptions. Given what you have tried, you are going to have to go back and find out whether the seal surface is revolving on center with the center of the crankshaft. Testing the on-center is simple: put the crankshaft on two Vee blocks, front and rear main journals. Dial indicate the center main; that will give you crank runnout. Dial indicate the rear main seal surface, that will give you the runnout of the seal surface. Although there could be a difference of opinion here, I think that anything more than 0.0002 on a seal surface intended for a cork seal would be the cause of your problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Happy Motoring!

Last edited by Chris in CT; 05-17-2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote