View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Another Shocky Question

I know you can get cupping with bad shocks.

Tire wear reasons

But, the large amount of un-sprung weight in the Model A suspension means you will have other effects. There is a certain dampening from the mass that will yield different effects. The chart on the website is for modern cars with their low unsprung weight.

My experience says that you likely have not enough spring effect in your system. The drivability issues stem from too much undamped spring effect. No rebound from poor springs then there is less need for shocks.

I know from experience that a 31 coupe and a 30 town sedan with known good front springs are very uncomfortable to hold on the road above 25 MPH. With shocks the cars are dreams over 60 MPH. Others report the same findings.

I also know all the guys with no shock and no bounce issues have obvious spring issues. They also do not drive their cars over 45 and probably do not have brakes safe for 30 MPH- but that is a whole other thing.

So I am not telling you that you are wrong. I can only relate personal experience. If you were to drive a properly restored car that has good springs and shocks you might get a different opinion of your car and make a few more changes then you expected.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote