View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
eystein

Default Re: 68B top install questions

I have been following this post with great interest, but still have several questions.

I do not understand how the bow covering can be stitched, I thought that the material was pulled around the bow and tacked on the top side of the bow, which will be covered by the top material.

Q1 : Is the bow cover material tacked on the top side of the bows or is it sewn into a tube which is pulled tight and made to contract around the bow contour because of the diagonal cut of the material?

Q2 : Is the center section of the no. 1 bow covered in the same way as the no. 2 bow ?

Q3 : Does the stitching in the photo posted by Jerry Parr, constitute the seam where the material is sewn to form a tube ?

Q4 : If the bow covering is sewn to form a tube, is the tube then turned inside out to get the border of the material, sticking out from the seam on the inside of the tube ?

For the left and right (lower) sections of the no. 1 bow, it is mentioned that the material is wrapped over cardboard pieces.

Q5 : Can anyone supply patterns for cutting these cardboard pieces ?

Q6 : Did the cardboard go only on the sides of the bow that were not covered by the external metal pieces

Q7 : How was the cardboard held in place ?

Q8 : Was the wrapping material wrapped all around both the cardboard and the lower parts of the bow, or was the wrapping material folded over the edges of the cardboard, and the assembly then mounted onto the bow ?

Q9 : Does the material get tucked under the external metal bow cover and under the nickeled plate at the bottom of the bow ?

Any details which will help me get this 100% correct will be appreciated.

This was a lot of questions, but as always a couple of picture of the disassembly of an original top or of the steps of assembly in a correct restoration will say more than a thousand words
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote