View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #16
true blue 32 man

Default Re: 32 Ford crossmember rivets

Hello Just picked up a beautiful stock frame . Near mint except that the rear crossmember was bolted in. I found that my local FASTENALL dealer Has nearly every imaginable size and length round head rivet. These round head rivets are about .25 to .27 cents each The 5/16 dia X 5/8 shank length were right for the tabs and 5/16 x 7/8 worked well for the side and top rivets. The longer top and side ones were needed because this frame was the later type with the long style inner reinforcments. Macs and Snyders both sell the bucking tool that fit a standard air hammer and will make a nicely formed rounded stock looking job with a little care and practice. Wear ear plugs when riveting because this is a very noisy process. When doing the FRONT crossmembers years ago i used the round head 5/16 x1/2 length and for the (3) countersunk ones on top of the rails I installed them with the heads at the inside bottom and mushed the rivet till it filled the countersunk area on top and then ground off the excess til it was flush with the frame rail. Looked exactly like Henry's originals. Hope this helps. Pete the true blue 32 man
true blue 32 man is offline   Reply With Quote