View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Napa Skip

Default 16" Tire Questions

16” Tires: I have a set of 16” (1934 Ford?) rims obtained from a fellow club member and am ready to obtain tires (the set of 19” wheels will be retained for ‘show’). I am interested in other forum members’ comments about:

(1) Type of 16” tires (bias ply or radial)?
(2) Size?
(3) Source?

For example, the other members of our club that run 16” tires are generally using P215/70R16 Uniroyal radials. However, Coker Tire shows bias ply sizes from 450/475-16 to 750-16 (10 sizes) and radial sizes from 205/55R16 to 295/50R16 (9 sizes). I did a quick search of this forum for threads on 16” tires but did not see anything definitive; one thread on the Early V-8 forum (“Firestones, Coker Radials or Excelsior Radials”) seemed to confirm a preference for radial tires, but I wanted to get some direct Model A owner recommendations.

Any other comments, both pro and con about 16” wheels/tires would be appreciated. When last checked a few months ago, the steering geometry on my 1930 coupe was good at 5 deg (more or less) caster, +3-1/2 deg (each side) camber and about +1/16” toe-in. I have a stock 2-tooth steering sector with a standard-length pitman arm, 34-year old reproduction lever-arm hydraulic shocks in good condition, and mechanical brakes. I have gotten good service (even wear, no cupping, cracks or checks) out of the 4.75/5.00/5.25/5.50-19 Bedford 4-ply nylon tires I have had for many (too many, probably) years.

16” Wheel Hub Caps: I am also interested in any recommendation as to the best source for high-quality hub caps for the 16” wheels (I’m currently leaning toward the Snyder B-1130 stainless steel hub caps but at around $100 for a set of 5 (+ tax/shipping/handling) if there is a better/more durable product out there, I’d like to hear about it.

Camber: And, as regards the camber, are there any comments about a smaller camber? Steve Smith, in his ”Proper Front-End Alignment Using Modern Day Tires” in the March/April 2004 Model “A” News, recommended +/- 0.5 deg camber. But I’m reluctant, for obvious reasons, to subject an otherwise (apparently) good front axle to “tweaking” unless absolutely warranted.

Sorry for the long post.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote