View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Will Kimble

Default '30 Tudor Refresh

Here are a couple pics of my new tudor:

It is a solid old car, but the wiring is a mess. I have been right much a hotrodder in the past, but I intend to keep this car pretty close to stock. Perhaps a few performance-oriented modifications like most "touring" cars have.

In the past I have found it helpful to document progress in a thread, and it also seems to be good motivation for me. I will try to show in this thread what it takes to get this car roadworthy.

Not much has been done yet, except I have replaced all of the (incorrect) fuel line from the gas tank valve all the way to the carburetor. This all went smoothly, except for the stamped sheet metal nut on the sediment bowl - it just won't draw as tight as I would like. I saw a big jamb nut in the Sacramento Vintage Ford catalog for this purpose, and I will try to find one of these at my local hardware store tomorrow. Anybody else have trouble with these?

The car runs, but not well. I drove it up the street and back just to prove that I could. I think the distributor is set too retarded, as it needs more advance while driving with it all the way advanced and I can't get it to start with it all the way retarded. Gonna get out the Les Andrews book to read about that.

But the wiring is the real challenge - starter button and headlight switch in the dash rail, solenoid on the firewall, toggle switch where the foot starter button should be, and no key or functioning ammeter in the dash. Headlights are all wired from the dash rail switch even though the spider is still on the end of the horn rod. I am going to tear it all out and start from scratch, too scary to drive it like this anymore.

That's all for now, I will try to take some more pics as I straighten things out.

Will Kimble
www.kimblemandolins.com
Will Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote