View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: Transmission main drive gear

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/WI View Post
When I install the transmission into the flywheel pilot bearing I use LocTite Thread Lock on the shaft so it will not spin in the bearing. I refrain from turning the transmission for 24 hours to insure that the LocTite has set up.
Refering to the quote of Pat from Santa Cruz, I understand that there is a bearing available with a 0.625" inside diameter. I would not use that because it would make it a nonstandard shaft in the event that the bearing would need to be replaced in the future. This is obviously a personal preference. I believe there was a thread recently referring to that special 0.625" id bearing, but I looked thru the first 20 pages of postings and could not find it. Hope this information is of value. Don/WI
Don
thanks for straightening that out. I was taking numbers off the top of my head,, since my book is out in the shop. I did turn a shaft to .625 once as a solution, which must be where that number came from. It works, but the problems is, as you describe, remembering to fit the correct bearing every time its needed.
I also tried the loctite trick you suggest once on the recommendation of a machinist. It has problems as well if you ever want to pull the transmission. The pilot sticks pretty well into the bearing, making separation of the clutch housing from the flywheel housing a real pain.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote