View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Open car door check straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
That doesn't look like something the average person can make at home. I don't mind giving it a shot but where would ieven start? Anybody had any luck in making some?
There was a guy that made the piece that goes around the steering wheel.

He made a mold from wood. Sanded and polished it. He then waxed the polished, poured some rubber in the mold, placed the cloth on top and poured more rubber on top. I placed the mold in a vaccum to get out any air and let the rubber set. He remover the part, trimmed the cloth and one would be hard pressed to see the difference between it and stock.

Reproducing the grain would be the real problem. The rest could be purchased on the internet (rubber). Simple yes, easy no.

I once started a thread that asked what nearly impossible parts would we like to see reproduced and the thread went nowhere. I did it thinking that someone might have the time and resources to produce even a short run of parts like the Victoria Association did a few years back with the shades. They found a weaver that using the same colors, patterns, and edging created a run of shades.