View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Valve chamber cover gasket split

The gaskets that come in the engine sets are not the same as the gaskets Ford sold --I have seen cork gaskets in sets --it is not a good use for cork, the paper gaskets are 1/2 the thickness of original so I am not surprised that there are problems, the original is of a hard thick paper almost like the cardboard used in those hard paper tubes for shipping ---about 1/32 thick---I had a package of 10, now down to 5

I like Hylomar, use it all the time,if I was to remove my valve cover and the gasket was to stick to both parts I would Hylomar the surface and put it together, but for your use I would try something that would "glue" the gasket to the block, then you can grease the surface of the cover.

The last time I put the cover on I used one of my NOS gasket, no sealer.

If your cover has been overtightened it could be warped,and even if it hasn't it should be checked to see if that end that spit out the gasket is flat

The original type of lockwashers are fine, perhaps use new ones , if you decide to double the gasket you need to glue the 2 together or it will be more likely to move

Overtightening can cause gaskets to split and move out of position.
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote