View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 09:10 AM   #19
rockfla

Default Re: early Ford V8 flathead motor catalytic converter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I ran our 33 through an emissions tester that was set up on the uphill exit ramp from the motor way a few years back, I went back and spoke to the guy who was setting it up after I had driven through,, he asked what sort of anti pollution stuff was on the 33 engine,I replied none, he response was,:thats surprisingly clean :
Lawrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I had a similar experience with the 8BA engine in my old '36. The engine was a fresh 276 Merc with a Holley 390 and an MSD "Ready to Run" ignition. When I took it to "Back to the Fifties" in the middle nineties, the State of Minnesota had a voluntary pollution test set up right in the event. Out of curiosity, I ran the car through and they told me it would have passed the then current Minnesota pollution standards as it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa View Post
Ran my '28 "A" through the smog machine at my Porsche mechanic's place, was a little rich so closed down the GAV on the dash & it came in legal. He was amazed I could adjust the carburetor from the drive's seat!

This all reminds me of the Old Street Cars/City Bus story out in Los Angeles. They got rid of all the "old" street cars (that where "electiric" and environmentally friendly as we are told today about EV's) for diesel burning Buses (Thank you GM). THEN, years later the "smog" became TOO great AND the buses weren't being utilized as they didn't serve the needs of the riders....SO they go to "clean" energy buses (electric among them) and propose NEW better service routes AND when "someone" checked these NEW routes against the "OLD" street car service, the old track system overlaid the NEW improved system "perfectly". SO.....what was gained in the end......SHOULD have left well enough alone!!!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote