View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 01:23 AM   #16
larrys40

Default Re: 354 Ring an Pinion

Tom, I saw your pm but am replying here as well …. I have a 3.54 in my 30 tudor, Stock engine but w/snyder 5.5 head and I run an older Ryan overdrive 23percent . It is a great highway cruiser. I personally like the 3.54 because it enables the car to cruise a little bit easier in town without using overdrive for all around use.

I think it depends a lot on your engine. Not all are created equal… helping to experiment with carb may help as well… like trying a B carb.

If running A Mitchell 26 percent on a heavier sedan I would probably stick with 3.78 but without it I would defiantly opt for 3.54. I know some of the roads in wv are mountainess but I think with a 5.5 head it will help you pull the hills better. I’m not a huge fan of the 6.1 head as it gives the engine a rumble I generally don’t like… just my 2 cents worth.

I have driven this same tudor extensively in Colorado and up pikes peak…. Million dollar highway, San Juan mountains, ouray etc…. And it had done fabulous. Shift when you need but overall I am very happy with the 3.54 and my Ryan overdrive in it.

When I finish my 68c it will have a 3.54 and mitchell 26 percent and it should do fine as well w 5.5 head. Unless I put in a Burtz and then I’m really not worried! This is a lighter car than the sedans.
I say go for it. Will you need to shift a tad earlier on a long grade, maybe so but it will be a negligible difference compared to the less rpm with it on the downhill side. I’ve restored /rebuilt hundreds of rear axles and overall I like the 3:54. I say get it while it’s available because there is a day coming these will not be available due to the demand vs economy of production/profit of making/selling them.

Happy Model A motoring ….
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote