Thread: Best riding A?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 01:17 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Best riding A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDVAARK View Post
Hi,
I've got some suggestions on shocks,but gotten my replies screwed up and would like you to please look at my posted reply under Larry's "Speedster windshield" thread. In the meantime, I'll try to move my remarks about using Triumph TR4 sports car shocks on a Model A.
Sorry for any confusion, please do look.
Russ
See Russ's post below

"For rear shocks, look at Triumph Tr4 andTr6. they fit the chassis holes on my 28 tudor, and usually are attached to arms with a ball end compatible with Model A dogbone links. I have used a set on the tudor for years, not adjustable, but ride nice,-seem to be close to 60/40. I reshaped (shorter and at a slant)the top of the body casting on a sander to fit the indent in the wheel well, using the original top. To get linkage alignment and to adjust leverage for stiffness, I wrapped the shock body in wet rags to protect the internals, and heated and bent the arms into a'Z" shape to shorten them for various strengths. They work well enough and are easy to find used. Cutting and fabricating proper length arms would be well worthwhile once you find what length works best.
With some work, they could be fitted on the front, but clearing the fenders can be tricky. The Triumph is close enough to the A in weight that this was doable, producing a nice ride in a tudor. In a coupe, worth trying. Trial and error with sandbags in the trunk could be instructive.
Russ"

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-24-2024 at 01:25 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote