View Single Post
Old 02-07-2024, 05:44 PM   #35
Gene F

Default Re: Abandoned roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Mik View Post
Back in the 80's I used to run a small company where we would drive around and find cars for $50 to $100 and part them out, anything from trucks to T-birds. Of course those days are gone, but so many times I heard the same thing, "Not for sale, I'm going to fix it up". There is a local guy who is very lazy & had alot given to him from his parents and/or his father in law, including a '66 Harley Electra Glide, a pristine (at one time) low mile '65 Pontiac LeMans, and a restored 50's Mack Model B, all of which are now basically rotting away in an old barn. I have tried to buy the Harley and the LeMans for years, nope, won't sell, and the guy is now 65 yrs old. I know he'll never touch them.....Very frustrating to see vehicles just rotting away....
I know the feeling! When lloyd Young died I went to his auction. I had made arrangments with my bank for a letter of credit, and the auctioneer. I was all set. So I go to the auction. I wanted one specific car from Lloyd's collection, and I wanted it also as a Great Race entry car. So we get down to me and just one old guy bidding. BTW; I was almost 60 at the time - LOL. We were going back and forth just he and I. He was just gohna keep one uping me $1,000 at a time. Finally I told the auctioneer (Larry) "let him have it". To which he looked at me and said "are ya sure". I replied "yeah". The guy could hardly walk? A car from the late 1920s..like the first time that car got a flat, or a dead battery and that car was finished. No grandson with him, nor a son-in-law... I am sure that car is almost a POS now. Just a shame.

I hear that I'm gonna fix it up speech all too often. By the time they get around to it the car is noting but a pile of scrap.

Owning a collector car comes as a duty if ya ask me. That probably sounds odd to a lot of people. A collector car is not just another used car.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote