View Single Post
Old 01-29-2024, 10:25 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Fan catastrophe avoided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Then the question becomes is it more expensive to restore an original fan - or simply "re-create" one as they were originally made?

Granted nobody yet is reproducing a fan as they were made originally.

And nobody yet is making brake drums as they were originally (i.e. pressed steel)

Should an original cast iron brake drum (late 1931) be graded higher than a Mel Gross drum? What of that drum (either one) installed on an AR Model A?

Sorry. I'm asking questions faster than there are answers - and SOME of those questions HAVE been answered.

I think that's why a committee get the big bucks.

Now I'm being funny.

Joe K

No, those are good questions Joe.

Restoration vs. replacing has its place depending on the skill-level of the Restorer. As far as a nice restoration, there is not anything wrong with using a reproduction aluminum fan because it is cheaper. Using a DeLuxe Roadster as an example, the original fabric inside of a DeLuxe Roadster was leather however in an effort to save money, many have been 'restored' substituting vinyl. Using the excuse of monetary costs during an accurate restoration should never be a valid reason IMHO.

As far as using one of the Gross drums in lieu of an original drum during F/P adjudication, I can spot the difference between the two, -especially the front drums. When the comparison on the E28, and the VE28 drums vs. a reproduction cast iron drum, it really boils down to how the judge wants to score the deduction. Although it is an 'unwritten protocol' thought, the mindset has generally been that a reproduction part that does not aesthetically look exactly like the original component receives a 50% point deduction whereas an incorrect original part receives less of a deduction. Now when using your analogy, it probably would become messier since the E28 & VE28 lug-bolt pattern is different than the OE cast-iron drum along with the parking brake.

The JS Committee's perspective on fans (-at least as I understand them) is they are to show no favoritism towards accepting reproduction components in lieu of original components, -even when the restoration of that component is difficult to find or to restore.

Using the OE fan as an example, while the restoration process for a two-blade fan may be difficult for the average Restorer, the task of restoration itself is doable. Therefore people's opinions about the JSC changing what is acceptable really is not very valid when all of the facts are known.

BTW, of the Mandatory Requirements to enter into F/P Judging only states that it must have an original-style two blade fan, ...which the Snyders reproduction aluminum two blade fan meets that requirement. Because that fan can be distinguished from an original two blade fan, then it will receive a point deduction in Area 3. If someone showing in F/P is adamant about using a reproduction two-blade fan, then they are welcome to use one and they just realize they will receive a slight point deduction. Because that deduction is so minor, it is possible for a vehicle to win the Henry Award while having a reproduction fan installed.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote