View Single Post
Old 12-16-2023, 09:37 PM   #20
tubman

Default Re: It finaly arrived !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
Thanks Ron. I appreciate all the thoughts and knowledge and experience here on the board. As I said earlier I just can't run a Chevy distributor,(nothing against Chevrolet I own two) the esthetics alone are a deal breaker but what about the vacuum signal for it ? Or does it need one? I think my next best bet will be the new Mallory dual point. They do make it to work with the aluminum timing cover after all and I can live wit that. Anyone running one on the street? Thanks again ,Tim
There are usually two things wrong with the new Mallory dual points currently available. The first is that they come with a Chevrolet advance curve (which is about 36 degrees total) and they have RED caps (talk about aesthetics) The last one I bought had a plastic "key" that you inserted into the advance plate that allowed you to select either 36 or 23 degrees total advance (23 is better suited to a flathead). I have heard the the units currently available do not even have this feature. I remedied the red cap with some black plastic paint. This will result in an acceptable unit.

I am hooked on the older "flattop" Mallory's (talk about good aesthetics). These can be hard to find and expensive in the original configuration, but SBC units are available and can be converted for use in a flathead. Charlie Schwendler in New York can do this (he has done a couple for me). These distributors are almost alway mechanical advance only (no vacuum), but with a flathead, it's not a problem.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote