View Single Post
Old 12-08-2023, 11:27 AM   #34
Rene R

Default Re: Poll Re Driving Original Model "A"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kuntz View Post
I recently had my 2015 Honda Accord rearended and totalled.
For many years I ran a small business working from home. Every day I needed to drive to the nearby post office, on quiet town streets, to drop off and pick up mail. In good weather, I always drove my '28 Fordor. One day in 2009 I was in a hurry so I opted to just take my Honda. Like Chuck, I was rear-ended. I was at a well-marked intersection when a driver in a Dodge Ram plowed into me. She was looking at her phone and never even saw me, and didn't brake. So I was at a dead stop when she hit me at 35mph. The impact pushed my car about 25 feet over the sidewalk. My car was totaled and I was seriously injured. If I'd been in the Model A as I normally would, well, I hate to picture that.

A few years later, half a block from my house (on a VERY quiet suburban street) my wife was T-boned by a delivery van that ran a stop sign at a minor cross street. Her RAV-4 was totaled, as was the van, but fortunately no one was injured -- thanks to airbags and crumple zones. I couldn't stop thinking about what would have happened if it had been me, in the Ford.

It's sad to say, but those two incidents left me so spooked that I became paranoid driving the Ford on even the quietest streets. So it sat in the garage most of the time, whereas for years I had loved driving it pretty much everywhere but the freeway. I finally decided it was time to let go.

I miss the hell out of that car, and previous ones, but the roads are getting less safe every day. Now I enjoy antique cars vicariously.
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote