Thread: 12 conversion
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2023, 04:37 AM   #1
German guy

Default 12 conversion

Pro's and con's of a 12v negative ground conversion of my 6v positive ground 1930 Tudor? Do I need to do more than change the alternator, coil, lights and relays, and ammeter, and use a voltage converter for the horn? I have already switched the starter motor located fuse to a circuit breaker on the firewall and added fuses to all of the light systems.

Why do I want to do this? I get rather nervous when that 6v battery sounds like it barely turns the engine over. It has always started but it always sounds like it will not. If a $1000 worth of parts will end that I am up for a few hours of work to make it happen.

Also...with the battery in the stock location it is a pain having to lift the carpet and floor board panel to use a battery trainer and keep the battery fully charged when not being driven often. Perhaps an alternative location such as the running board? I have a red top battery...which has a thinner profile than normal but it will not fit behind the rear seat (I have a three door Tudor).

Advice please?
German guy is offline   Reply With Quote