View Single Post
Old 11-18-2023, 10:43 AM   #12
rotorwrench

Default Re: Patch Panels - Recommendations on quality

The only thing I can add is the caveat about the repair or replacement panels being the correct thickness or at least being close. Brookville seems to be closer on this that any others but they limit themselves to stuff that is intended to fit roadsters and pickups in the model A catagory so they only make a small percentage of model A body parts.

A person should try to repair as much as they can but not all DIY guys learn the art of metal forming. Howell's evidently has bucks and forms to hand fabricate some items but I think I could do a better job at forming my own. They don't seem to care whether they make a good product or not and the only way to buy from them is if they offer an item on flea-pay.

I use AKDQ steel as well but it's not always easy to find a good source for the stuff in the gauges needed. With hand forming, a person can literally build a whole car if they have the skill set but the time it takes for such an endeavor would be considered to be time and therefore cost prohibitive. For the average DIY restorer, tweeking the best available panels makes more sense as long as they are at least made good quality steel that can be easily welded or "tweeked".
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote