View Single Post
Old 11-17-2023, 07:39 AM   #13
Tudie 36

Default Re: 1936 starter button HOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
OK, some basic troubleshooting here. If the floor switch is red hot electric energy is flowing through it, and where there is resistance you get heat. You have a partially shorted out switch. The switch should ONLY be making contact when you are engaging the starter. The reason the car quit is all the battery/generator energy was sucked out of the system to heat the switch.

The floor switch has nothing to do with the ignition or any other circuit than Battery-Switch-Starter. Because of the high amperage of the starter this is a heavy duty switch. This is why on later (1937 on) there was a solenoid (heavy duty switch controlled triggered by a low amperage signal).

This situation could easily have progressed to a fire. If the floor switch gets hot the battery needs to be disconnected NOW! If the motor still runs the generator also needs to be disconnected NOW! There is no fuse protection. Expect arcing when the battery (and generator) is disconnected as there is high current flow. Gloves and face protection would be a very good idea.
Thanks, for this answer. I disconnected battery roadside, new button will be here today. Hope I didn’t do something stupid to cause this, like resting my foot on the button. Greg
Tudie 36 is offline   Reply With Quote