View Single Post
Old 11-12-2023, 03:09 PM   #5
1948F-1Pickup

Default Re: Aluminum radiator 1950 Ford Custom

I'm definitely NOT an aluminum radiator aficionado.
Although not the truck, I had a stupidly expensive Fluidyne aluminum radiator in one of my Mustangs..... for about 2 weeks. I ended up going back to a copper/brass unit, just like I had before. That was my reality. And it was a four row in line copper brass core at that, which is supposedly not the hot ticket as far as core designs. Everything went back to "normal" after I ditched the aluminum item though.
The aluminum unit had the "best" core construction and all the other details that supposedly make them so great. It was not so great though. Vehicle ran too hot on the track and too hot in general. This was not a situation where you want things running at 200+ degrees, like is the engine operating environment common with cars these days.
On the truck, I re-cored the original tanks with a copper/brass unit. No surprises on that deal. About 165 degrees on a 50 degree ambient temp day in the winter and about 195 max when it's 120 outside in the summer. Almost needs a swap to something higher than 180-degree thermostats for the winter....
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote