View Single Post
Old 10-03-2023, 10:34 AM   #9
Old Henry

Default Re: 6 volt radiator fan recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
Good day Professor. You mentioned that there was a slight vacuum in front of the radiator.
Is the mech fan around an inch close to the radiator? When I had my 46, I could put a small light weight towel on the Radiator while the car was running and the vacuum with hold it on there so that way I knew I had some decent airflow going. Perhaps a crude way of testing but at least I knew. Is it overheating while in motion or at stops? Has it always given you overheating issues? If not, what’s the last mod or repair did you do to the car? In my own personal experience sometimes the last thing I did created new issues. I do hope you find a resolution so that you can continue to enjoy your road trips.
The slight vacuum was in front of the Speedway electric fan in front of the radiator, not the radiator itself.

The overheating was at the top of the climb up Kyhv Peak road to the overlook after climbing in 2nd gear for 15 -20 minutes. With my old original stock radiator I could make that climb in 90°+ weather without boiling over. With the new "improved" radiator I boiled over when I got to the top in only 87° ambient temperature. My water temperature gauge was 10° higher than with the stock radiator.

The weather is cooled here now and we will soon be leaving for another mission for the church for a year or two so I probably won't undertake replacement of the radiator with a used stock one until after that.

Thanks for your interest and concern.