View Single Post
Old 08-03-2023, 07:54 AM   #11
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Another pan rail crack thread- Save it or junk it?

Like most everything, the answer is "it depends". LOL. If the crack goes all the way to the center and there are any cracks around the center web/main area, then I'd not risk it.

I'd love to try laser welding, but I don't know enough about it.

However, if you can identify the ends of the crack and drill them, then potentially aluminum-bronze braze it with TIG on AC, might be worth a try. I only have a DC TIG, so I'm sort of stuck with silicon-bronze rod.

Some guys don't pre-heat the block, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd make a nice BBQ pit, get a bunch of coals nice and hot and put this sucker in there! I'd also have some thermal blankets to put around it when I pull it out and after welding - to cool it as slow as possible. Another option is a big steel drum full of vermiculite.

The other real question is how much time/effort are you willing to put into it? I doubt I'd do a full-race type build - due to the number of hours of porting, relieving, valve work, special MAINs, etc.. I wouldn't invest that much into it . . . at least today! LOL

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 08-03-2023 at 01:03 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote