View Single Post
Old 07-05-2023, 06:46 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Fender sanding blocks recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerold Ebke View Post
What sanding block (brands) would anyone suggest for a rookie to use to follow complex curves on the fenders for bodywork and primer sanding?
See below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
This is a very good kit to get you going.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
My experiences with sanding Model-A fenders would say the Dura-block pads are too rigid for Model-A fender work.

It is my opinion that the bodyman needs to first learn the correct techniques of blocksanding with their fingers only. Jerold, I am going to assume you have mastered this, ...however if you have not, study this first mastering which direction to sand with your fingers, and how much pressure is too much on the sanding media where you are not 'riding' the media.

The reason I do not recommend using a hard block, -especially the Dura blocks is because the contact area of a flat block on a curved surface is minimal. Every stroke will result in a flat line (-or streak) being introduced into the substrate. In my shop, we use a specific sanding pad that is designed for curved surfaces however the expense of those sanding pads is likely too costly for the average hobbyist. Instead of those for a hobbyist application, I would suggest using a generic kitchen sponge with the sanding media wrapped loosely. The sponge should be pliable enough to conform the the curvatures of the fender, yet still provide enough support for the sanding media to not create flat spots or streaks.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote