View Single Post
Old 02-18-2023, 12:24 AM   #12
a4t6v8

Default Re: Re-use copper gaskets C59A?

Many thanks to everyone for replying, great to get different perspectives. I should have mentioned these are cast iron heads, l did consider buying new gaskets again, they are about $au130+each plus shipping down here. We seem to have become fitters of new bits, no matter where you go, parts are no longer repaired just replaced. Anyway these Best copper gaskets are the copper/graphite centre type, so l decided to refit them using copper spray sealant. I cleaned all surfaced with steel wool to get some really clean surfaced,
sprayed two coats of copper spray waited until tacky then tighten them down, 45ft/pds then 55ft/pds. I will leave them 24hours before filling with water and doing a couple of heat cycles and retorque. With the incorrectly one fitted l spent some time flattening out the impressions that were made, gently with a hammer, a rolling pin didn’t work. Most looked really good, some l could see the mark but not feel it, so l’ll chance it. Fitted it the correct way. I imagine l have probably compromised the graphite. The heads aren’t difficult to take off, if it doesn’t work l will spend the money on new ones. I will update the results in a few days after the retorque. Thanks again.
a4t6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote