View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #17
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Carb renew paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Has anyone tried Cerakote (the air dry one) on carbs? I have used it on several other items from exhaust headers to engine blocks and gun parts. Its a very thin film and
very very durable. They have many different colors to choose from, there should be something suitable for a carburetor.
I think I'll try some on a carb just for the heck of it. I have a satin black and a titanium
color.
Yes, with very good results. I've used a sort of satin nickel on the main Stromberg bodies and a semi-flat black on the bases and linkages. The whole reason in my case was not only looks, but the fact that fuel does not harm a properly coated carb. I know the satin nickel is not 'stock looking' - but I like it . . . so, nobody bitch at me! LOL

Blasting - you need to use a fine garnet blast (and not touch them with human hands), you need to bake the parts in the over to ensure they are 100% clean, apply the coatings and bake again. I've only used the bake-on versions - as I feel they are a better coating.

The masking process is the most time consuming as you don't want any of the coatings in the wrong places.

While it is a labor of love, the results are great and when fuel stains the bodies a bit (as it always does), then I just take lacquer thinner and a tooth brush, cleans them right back up.

2015-07-22 21.02.45 copy.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote