View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 10:29 AM   #9
m610

Default Re: New member, first Ford project

Thanks all for the friendly welcome and the advice.

We are located just west of Woodland, California. If you are reasonably local please do drop by for a visit.

We got started on the car two days ago and it was slow going with all the rust to deal with. We rolled it outside and power washed the underside best we could. Much of what I thought was caked on dirt was undercoating. Boy, the sure put that stuff on thick.

Yesterday I got the radiator out okay and it is now at a shop and will probably be re-cored.

Next up was getting the door panels off to get at the windows. They have de-laminated so badly they need to be replaced. Does anyone have a source for replacement windows or is this something a regular auto glass shop can handle? Also, how do I free the glass from the channel it sits in? eat? Solvent?

I work on Opel GTs a lot, almost exclusively, and found removing the suspension cross-member was the easier way to work on them. You just had to be really careful with that transverse leaf spring. It looks like I won't be doing that here.

One rear fender is missing and the other damaged, but we have replacements. The car will probably go to a body shop soon to have rust in those areas repaired and the fenders installed.

I took the running boards off and they revealed plenty of rust, but mostly at the ends where it attaches to the fenders. (The frame looked great.) We'll have the shop patch those areas, too. We have a good set of running boards to bolt on after we get the car back.

Is there a source for the rubber that went between the running boards and frame? Also, the bottom of the doors? And while I am asking, all the rubber parts used on the body?

My general approach is to start with the foundation then work my way to the more fun parts. That means wheels, brakes, and suspension first. We are installing a lift today and that will make that work easier.

At this time the decision is to not do anything to the interior other than clean it up. It is in great shape in general, thought it is showing signs of wear, and there are a few holes in the headliner. The owner wants to drive the car his father, grandfather, and great grandfather drove. If we do replace anything we have someone available who can do the sewing.

At present we are thinking of keeping the 6 volt system. What are people's thoughts on that?

Is there a wiring harness out there that we can purchase? The wiring in this car looks okay in places and terrible in others.

Photos will be coming soon.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Mike
m610 is offline   Reply With Quote