View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 05:04 PM   #15
nkaminar

Default Re: Voltage regulator

How to tell the difference between the voltage regulator that supplies voltage to the field winding and the one that shorts the field windings.

There are 3 terminals, Batt for battery, F or Fld for field, and G or Gen or Arm for generator output or armature. The ones made for Ford cars (type B) have are the type that supply voltage to the field winding (type B) and the ones made for GM cars are the types that short the field windings (type A). If you find the ones that are mechanical, you can take the cover off and push on the solenoids to turn the switches on. There will be a cutout like the stock Model A cutout and a switch that supplies voltage to the field windings. I am not sure if the voltage is sensed at the Gen terminal or the Bat terminal, most likely at the Gen terminal. If you push the solenoid for the field windings and the F terminal goes to ground, it is the wrong one. If you push it and it goes to the Gen or Bat terminal then it is the right one. If the voltage regulator is electronic then you will have to experiment with a voltage source and I am not sure how to do that.

There may be a third solenoid which limits the maximum amperage. If you push on this one and the cutout, the Gen and Bat terminals will be open circuit.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-C_Tpmv-J4
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 11-29-2022 at 05:38 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote