View Single Post
Old 10-17-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Top of front axle worn from spring / inspecting used axle

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Some comments on what has been said.

If the axle has been heated it will lose it maleablity, that is it bends MUCH easier.

The videos are a nice start, but fail to properly check the axle. You need 4 bars and a straight edge. All the axles I have looked at were bent rear ware at the perch hole. Makes sense cause that is where most of the abuse will take the axle. I also found that during the straightening of the perch bend the twist may go away.

As for the heat issues I get a lot of negative feedback. I dont care. An axle that was heated to remove the perch bends like butter compared to one that was not heated.

If you intend to drive your car at speeds and put miles on it then do not use an axle that has been heated. I am fairly certain you will get alignment issues from axle bend at some point.

You can also use a straight edge and line up the centerlines of the 4 holes if you do not have rods. Not the best way, but it is a way. For reference I drew the line of where the axle was on a straight edge and you can see how far back the hole was before I straightened it.

I made the alignment rods using scrap computer printer rods and adapters I made fit the holes with my 9" lathe. Simple cheap and effective.

I am using a simple 10 ton press to get the axles straight. I found like 10 pumps would cause like 1/16" of movement on a good axle. Like 1/2" on one that was heated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB110439.jpg (76.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg PB110450.jpg (70.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg PB110458s.JPG (36.0 KB, 33 views)
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote